I'm excited about this month's recipe - Beef Barley Soup. I myself love Barley, and every new year I am particularly hungry for food that is good for me.
I hope you enjoy making it for yourself - we served it this week for the first time in the tea-room.
It is a variation of the ever-so-popular Chicken Barley Soup from The Peach Tree Family Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. meaty beef shanks
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 T. butter
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 t. comino
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Place beef shanks in a stock pot with 1 T. canola oil. Sear the beef until it is nicely browned – this will give depth to your broth. Add 12 cups water, bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer gently for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from broth, and discard any fat and bones – cut meat into 1 inch pieces.
- In a separate pan, saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in the butter.
- Put the vegetables, beef, thyme, pepper, barley, bay leaf, comino, and nutmeg into the pot with beef broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes until barley is tender.
- Add parsley, taste for salt and pepper – and enjoy!
Serves about 16